The Asbestos Industry Association (AIA) is made up of members from Queensland's asbestos abatement industry, including contractors, consultants and equipment suppliers.
The Workplace Health & Safety Queensland provides asbestos related information for tradespeople, asbestos removalists, home owners and renovators. Visit www.qld.gov.au/asbestos.
A 'single point of contact' phone number for the public on asbestos
Telephone 13 QGOV (13 7468)
Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency
Under the previous government, The Hon Bill Shorten MP, Minister for Workplace Relations, released a media statement on 31 July 2013 announcing the funding of $6.4 million to implement the National Strategic Plan for Asbestos Awareness and Management.
A copy of the finalised National Strategic Plan can be found here National Strategic Plan
The Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency is also managing the National Asbestos Exposure Register. The Government has created a register to record the details of members of the Australian community who think they may have been exposed to asbestos containing materials.
If you think you may have been exposed to asbestos containing materials you can register your details by completing the National Asbestos Exposure Register Form and:
- emailing it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- print and fax to: (02) 6204 2029.
Further information can be found on the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency website.
About the AIA
The AIA's objectives are to:
- promote an awareness of the dangers of asbestos and asbestos products
- actively encourage the safe removal or treatment of asbestos and asbestos products
- provide a forum for members to discuss issues relevant to asbestos removal or treatment
- provide a single entity for presentation of issues, including submissions to government
- promote a responsible image for members among clients, industry and the general public
- provide assistance for members where difficulties may arise
AIA Management Committee for 2013/2014
President : Michael Shepherd (Parsons Brinckerhoff)
Vice President: Travis Allen (Allens Industrial Products)
Treasurer: Jim Edwards (AMPE Sarl South Pacific)
Secretary: Steve Keys (Keys Consulting)
Office Bearer: Alan Barker (Prensa)
Office Bearer: Glen Martin (CamPak)