The Asbestos Industry Association (AIA) is made up of members from Queensland's asbestos abatement industry, including contractors, consultants and equipment suppliers.
Taking an Axe to Asbestos - Walk for Awareness
Trevor 'Axe' Gillmeister is embarking on a trek from Townsville to Brisbane in September to raise awareness for asbestos related diseases. All proceeds raised will go to the Asbestos Related Disease Support Society Queensland.
For more information or to donate to this worthy cause go to this link - Everyday Hero.
Asbestos Work Health & Safety Action Plan
The Asbestos Work Health & Safety Plan 2011-2016 outlines what WHSQ will do to reduce exposure to asbestos fibres arising from work related activities until 2016. Key aspects of the plan include working with industry groups to protect workers at risk from exposure to asbestos and improving the range of WHSQ asbestos risk management information products. The risk management information will also be available to homeowners.
Importantly, the plan outlines how WHSQ will promote compliance with the new workplace asbestos laws, including:
- auditing licensed asbestos removalist businesses
- auditing licensed asbestos assessors
- auditing workplaces for compliance with asbestos registers and management plans
- providing ongoing training to the WHSQ inspectorate
- prosecuting breaches of asbestos law.
A copy of the plan can be found here.
The Workplace Health & Safety Queensland provides asbestos related information for tradespeople, asbestos removalists, home owners and renovators. Visit www.qld.gov.au/asbestos.
A 'single point of contact' phone number for the public on asbestos
Telephone 13 QGOV (13 7468)
About the AIA
The AIA's objectives are to:
- promote an awareness of the dangers of asbestos and asbestos products
- actively encourage the safe removal or treatment of asbestos and asbestos products
- provide a forum for members to discuss issues relevant to asbestos removal or treatment
- provide a single entity for presentation of issues, including submissions to government
- promote a responsible image for members among clients, industry and the general public
- provide assistance for members where difficulties may arise
AIA Management Committee for 2013/2014
President : Michael Shepherd (Parsons Brinckerhoff)
Vice President: Travis Allen (Allens Industrial Products)
Treasurer: Jim Edwards (AMPE Sarl South Pacific)
Secretary: Steve Keys (Keys Consulting)
Office Bearer: Alan Barker (Prensa)
Office Bearer: Glen Martin (CamPak)